Friday, July 6, 2012

"Letting Go of Boolean Operators: Rethinking How Research Is Taught in Schools" (Sarah Ludwig)


Sarah Ludwig on ALA TechSource writes: 
I am constantly struggling with the sense that I’m doing a lot of talking for nothing. I painstakingly teach kids how to use a database and they go straight back to Wikipedia as soon as I turn them loose. I show them how to use keywords and operators and they always fall back on their “ask Google a question” method.
I get frustrated. I’ve considered asking their teachers to require the use of databases. But lately I’ve been admitting to myself the deep, dark truth: I’ve got it backwards. I’m forcing students to use tools and search methods that are more cumbersome, more frustrating, and less successful simply because I, the librarian, think it’s the best thing to do. 
She concludes the introduction:
Obviously, it’s our job to teach students how to find the best information they can. But I think there is a better way.
And then goes on to share some valuable ideas.  Click here to read her full piece, followed by some interesting comments...   


No comments:

Post a Comment